Horizon High School Parents and Guardians,
Previously we sent information about our High School Summer School Program in response to lost instruction from the pandemic and students failing classes from this past school year. Now that you have committed to Summer School and are ready to take the next steps, we need everyone to read the important expectations below and register your child for the specific classes they need to take with our new educational partner, TRECA.
TRECA is the online credit recovery program that we will be partnering with during our in-person Summer School Program. This program allows students to work at their own pace over the course of 6-8 weeks with the goal of making up the credit(s) lost from a previously failed class. TRECA also provides an online advisor to help students track their progress. In addition, our HSA classroom teachers will be in the building to help ensure students are completing the curriculum in a timely, yet efficient manner.
Moreover, based on successful completion of the TRECA Summer School Program and the criteria outlined below, it will be determined if the student will earn the required credit for the class. To be clear, if you choose NOT to have your child attend summer school or they fail to meet the criteria, your child will not pass the class, nor earn the credits required to meet the State of Ohio Graduation Requirements. Additionally, the student will also have to retake the classes during the 2021-2022 school year.
With that said, please thoroughly read the information below in order to properly register your child for our TRECA program by June 3rd, 2021.
TRECA Registration Information:
- Here is a link with our Summer School courses and each syllabus if needed: https://treca.org/courses/summer-school
- Here is a link that will walk you through the registration process: https://treca.org/support/flex-portal-registration-no-payment
- Here is the link for parents/students to register: https://learnonline.treca.org/student_portal/login.php
- Here is a link to our Getting Started Summer School page that includes videos and step sheets for students: https://treca.org/summer-school-program-guide#getting-started
Criteria to Ensure Successful Completion:
- Students must attend 90% of the summer school program.
- Students will receive instruction in the course of study they have failed during the 20-21 school year.
- Students must attend in-person learning. There will NOT be a remote summer school option.
- Students need to meet with their online TRECA advisor regularly and consult with their HSA teachers for specific questions, concerns, or additional help needed.
- Students must satisfactorily complete the course in order to earn the credit.
High School Summer School Schedule & Logistics:
- Held from June 8 -July 15th, 2021. Pacing of curriculum may lead to students finishing earlier or may need more time.
- Students will attend Monday through Thursday from 8:30a.m.-1:00p.m.
- Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
- Busing transportation will be provided upon request for ALL grades.
- Students will need their charged Chromebook every day and all school related materials will be provided.
After you have registered, both parents and students will receive an email that will include all login information, links needed, advisor contact information, and much more. This is to ensure all students will be ready to start when Summer School courses open on June 8. All High School Students will not have to report until Tuesday, June 8th for the TRECA orientation process and all course requirements need to be met by 11:59 PM July 16th to earn credit.
Also, just a heads up that parents/students may receive an unpaid email from TRECA. Please disregard this as we will be working behind the scenes to take care of the financial portion of the program and understand that this is NOT your financial obligation.
In closing, we hope to have a productive Summer School program and look forward to helping students close the achievement gap while also recovering the credits they lost.
Reach out to the following team members if you have any questions
Mr. Bendik- email@example.com
Mrs. Strohsack- firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Muride- email@example.com
See you soon!